Tiny Marsh BioBlitz – June 27
When: 6am to midnight Saturday June 27 2015
Where: Tiny Marsh - a 900-acre provincial wildlife area made up of 600 acres of marsh and 300 acres of field and forest
Who: MTM Conservation Association
A BioBlitz is a search for species (birds, plants, insects, amphibians, reptiles, mammals etc.) within a given time in a given area. The Tiny Marsh BioBlitz will start at 6 a.m. Saturday June 27 and end around midnight. One- to 3-hour outings will depart the Nature Centre at various times, led by a group of experts with knowledge in different fields – birds, butterflies, plants etc. Participants can come out for just one outing or for the whole day. No experience or equipment required.
All departures from the Nature Centre, 500 Tiny-Flos Townline, north of Elmvale off County Road 6.
1. 6:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. The Early Morning Chorus, led by Chris Evans (Brereton Field Naturalists) and Ken MacDonald (Midland-Penetanguishene Field Naturalists). Birds, insects and plants 8:30 a.m. – Registration at Nature Centre for those who have not registered in advance (see below).
2. 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m The Morning Sunshine, led by environmental consultant Bob Bowles, Chris Evans, Ken MacDonald and Betty Bennett (Midland-Penetanguishene Field Naturalists). Birds, dragonflies, butterflies, plants and everything else!
3. 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. The Short and Easy Stroll led by nature photographer Jennifer Howard and Lynn Short (Humber Arboretum interpreter). Birds and plants and more
Noon-1:00 pm. Lunch at the Nature Centre
4. 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. The Early Afternoon Walk led by Lynn Short, Betty Bennett. Birds, Plants, Butterflies and more
5. 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. The Children’s Walk led by Bob Bowles, Yvonne Metcalfe (the Insect Lady) and Harrison Briand (Turtle student). Insects, amphibians, reptiles and more
6. 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. The Late Afternoon Walk led by Dave Mclachlin (Ducks Unlimited), Lynn Short and Yvonne Metcalfe. (Birds, insects, amphibians, plants and more)
7. 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. The Twilight Walk led by Jim Charlebois ((Midland-Penetanguishene Field Naturalists), and Yvonne Metcalfe. (Birds, Moths, Bats and denizens of the night) 8. 9:30 p.m. - midnight The Midnight Prowl led by Jim Charlebois and Harrison Briand (Night calls and mysterious movements).
Welcome to a new year. A reminder to all club members that payment for your 2015 membership is now due. All members will be receiving a notice via email.
If you are not a member and would like to join please download a membership application and mail it along with payment, or see me at one of our meetings.
Some new members (and old) are having difficulties logging onto the web site to access member's only content. I put together this short tutorial that should help you log on and change your password.
so I can update the membership data base to ensure you keep getting messages from the club.